[EM] Re: can't we all just get along?

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:49:55 PST 2005

James Green-Armytage jarmyta-at-antioch-college.edu |EMlist| wrote:

> 2. I think we've established that you (Mike and Russ) have political views
> that are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Perhaps you could find common
> ground if you tried, but you don't seem to be trying now, and anyway, most

I understand what you meant, James, but I must take issue with the way
you stated it. Yes, Mike and I are far apart politically, but saying
that we are "at opposite ends of the spectrum" is a gross distortion.

I am a libertarian-leaning Republican. Need I remind you that the
Republicans just won re-election to the Presidency, increased their
control of both houses of Congress, and have a strong majority of
governerships? My difference with Republicans has to do with issues like
drugs, which I think should all be legal (Mike calls me an
"authoritarian" because he has a habit of making clueless assertions). I
am not at either "end" of the political spectrum.

Mike, on the other hand, is so far out that he can't see any significant
difference between Democrats and Republicans. And, of course, he
believes that the Bush administration was complicit in the 9/11 attacks.
  He is absolutely convinced that demolition expolosives were
pre-installed in the WTC to make it collapse in cue. I don't just
"think" that's absurd; I know it.

How do I know it? Well, common sense plays a major role, of course, but
its more than that. I've read executive summaries of major professional
studies on the matter, and I've read explanations by structural
engineering experts of how and why the WTC collapsed. I urge you to do
the same if you harbor any lingering suspicions that Mike might be on to
something. This pathetic garbage needs to be nipped in the bud -- and
the charlatans espousing it need to be exposed before their insanity
becomes contagious. Here are some links:

http://wtc.nist.gov/
http://people.howstuffworks.com/wtc7.htm
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2001/december5/wtc-125.html
http://www.fema.gov/library/wtcstudy.shtm
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0112/Eagar/Eagar-0112.html

> 3. I encourage both of you to stop entering personal insults into the EM
> list. Although it may be entertaining in a perverse sort of way, it

Well, some here will be happy to know that I will probably get off this
list within a few days. I may get back on at times in the future to
request feedback on specific items at ElectionMethods.org, which I
intend to spend a bit more time on (but not too much, I hope). I respect
the opinions of many here on this list, and I apologize for the
disruption caused by my dispute with Mike. I do have a very successful
career, however, and I also have other interests outside of my job, so I
don't have time to stay on this list permanantly.

For Mike, I think this list *is* his career. If Rob ever deletes the
archives of this list, someone please remember to put out a suicide
watch for him. I pity poor Mike.

--Russ