[EM] can't we all just get along?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat Jan 29 03:49:46 PST 2005

>Let me just say that there's no way I could put into words how much Mike
>disgusts me with his delusions, lies, and mental illness. My life and
>reputation are diminished for ever having associated with him.

	Gosh, this is getting to be quite a soap opera; I feel like I should be
eating buttered popcorn while I read these posts.
	Anyway, here's my opinion, in case anyone wants it (which they probably
don't)...
1. I've always found the electionmethods.org site to be
helpful/interesting, and I personally hope that the pages there are not
removed, although of course that isn't my decision.

2. I think we've established that you (Mike and Russ) have political views
that are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Perhaps you could find common
ground if you tried, but you don't seem to be trying now, and anyway, most
of it is pretty well off topic. At present, both of you seem to think that
the other person's political views are absurd, but you shouldn't assume
that everyone else will find them absurd a priori. Personally, I can find
points of agreement with both of you, but there's no need to go into
detail about them. We might do well to remember that the polarizing effect
of plurality system affects not just the composition of the government,
but also our political discourse in general, creating an artificial sense
of distrust between the "right" and the "left" through endless negative
campaigns... that's part of the trap which we're trying to get out of, I
think.

3. I encourage both of you to stop entering personal insults into the EM
list. Although it may be entertaining in a perverse sort of way, it
probably has a sort of lowering effect on the list as a whole, which I
would prefer to avoid. I can sort of sympathize with the desire to respond
to accusations when they have been made, i.e. to defend your position on
whatever issue (evolution, 9/11) if you feel you have been straw-manned,
but I would encourage you to respond to these accusations without
generating counter-accusations (i.e. 'don't take his negative opinions
about me seriously, because of his own intellectual deficiencies...').
Even better would be to take the discussion offlist entirely, and settle
it via a personal shouting bout, thumb wrestling match, cage match, limbo
contest, pie eating contest, ski race, or whatever.

4. I encourage both of you to continue your discussion of voting methods
here at the EM list, and I think that both of you have a valid
contribution to make.

Sorry to get all preachy. I guess I just wanted to be part of the fun.

my best,
James