[EM] Who can't solve 2 candidate elections

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jan 8 05:32:38 PST 2005

Dear Craig,

I wrote that in the 2-candidate 1-winner case FPP satisfies
e.g. anonymity, neutrality, non-dictatorship, Pareto,
strategyproofness, monotonicity, participation, consistency,
and resolvability. I asked if, in your opinion, FPP doesn't
"solve" the 2-candidate 1-winner case then what does it mean
to "solve" the 2-candidate 1-winner case?

You replied that you don't consider anonymity, neutrality,
non-dictatorship ("basically undefined"), Pareto ("completely
worthless", "obviously rubbish"), strategyproofness
("unpromising") or participation ("undesirable") important.
However, this is not an answer to my question why FPP doesn't
"solve" the 2-candidate 1-winner case in your opinion. To
answer my question why FPP does _not_ "solve" the 2-candidate
1-winner case, you would have to mention a desirable criterion
that is _not_ satisfied by FPP in the 2-candidate 1-winner case.

Markus Schulze