[EM] Who can't solve 2 candidate elections

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 7 07:10:56 PST 2005

Dear Craig,

you wrote (7 Jan 2005):
> Well, I didn't underestimate your intelligence when I
> expected that you would be perfectly unable to solve
> the easy problem of deriving a solution to the 2 candidate
> 1 winner election problem.

Well, this depends on what you mean with "solving"
2-candidate 1-winner elections.

In the 2-candidate case, FPP satisfies all important
criteria (e.g. anonymity, neutrality, non-dictatorship,
Pareto, strategyproofness, monotonicity, participation,
consistency, resolvability). If, in your opinion, FPP
doesn't "solve" the 2-candidate 1-winner case, then what
does it mean to "solve" the 2-candidate 1-winner case?

Markus Schulze