[EM] IRV's "majority winner". What if we let the people choose?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue May 25 19:09:02 PDT 2004

Back when there was a push to get an IRV initiative on the Oregon ballot I
sat in on some of the FairVoteOregon meetings, including the one in which
the final wording of the initiative and the wording of the voter
information pamphlet entry were being hashed out.

All the rhetoric was repetition of the claim that IRV is the method that
picks the majority winner, and that the principle of majority rule is the
foundation of IRV, as well as the foundation of democracy.

So when Mike suggested letting a majority decide between the IRV winner
and the Condorcet Winner, he wasn't unfairly foisting Condorcet standards
on IRV supporters.  He was just giving them a chance to practice what they
preach.  In essence he exposed their hypocrisy by calling their bluff.

Forest