[EM] IRV's "majority winner". What if we let the people choose?

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Tue May 18 20:38:01 PDT 2004

Not to defend IRV, but I agree with James on this count.  If a thin
majority preferred B to A, but then found after the election that A
received many first place votes, while B received hardly any, I'd bet
money that some people would switch their votes from B to A, possibly
enough to swing the results.

I followed the Dem primary pretty closely and there were a *lot* of
voters that were voting for Kerry even though they liked Dean better -
not for tactical reasons, but simply because it was the thing to do.

I know that it doesn't make sense and isn't rational, but the point is
that people are irrational.  And while that doesn't mean that awarding
the winner to the Condorcet Winner is flawed (of course it's not
flawed), there are still weird cases like this one where it could be a
public relations problem.  People are used to first place counting for
more than second or third place, and it would be an uphill battle to
convince an unsophisticated population that B is the rightful winner.

It's not a reason to support IRV, but it's definitely reason to try and
include safeguards so an outcome like this wouldn't happen.