[EM] Ease of Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed May 19 14:57:07 PDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:05:16 -0700 (PDT) bql at bolson.org wrote:

> Let's pretend that the various methods are black-boxes on the "back end".
> On the "front end" is the ballot. If a voter doesn't understand the
> black-box back end, we hope they can at least understand how to express
> themserves on the ballot.
>
> Ballot Styles, from least to most complexity/information:
> Pick One (plurality)
> Approval
> Ranked (IRV,Condorcet,Borda)
> Rated (CR,IRNR)

So you disagree with my ranking of complexity - but I see no details here
as to HOW I am wrong.

> I suppose Ranked and Rated could be accompanied by Mike O's "AERLO"
> feature.
>
> So, is it a problem to instruct a voter in the usage of a ballot?
> "Choose One"
> "Mark all choices you find to be acceptable."
> "Enter 1 by your first choice, 2 by your second, and so on."
> "Rate each choice on a scale of 1 to 10; 10 indicating your highest level
> of preference."

Your topic here seems to be how I record my decision, after making it -
big deal I was emphasizing is that MAKING a voting decision can be
difficult - for example, how define "acceptable" for Approval.

> Sociologists can argue over the best wording, but I think none of these is
> out of reach of 95% of the voting populace. Maybe I'm too optimistic.
>
> Ideally the method on the back end would be understandable, but it is less
> crucial. But, if the back end is allowed to be a black box to some people
> then I want to be absolutely certain that the method is fair and only
> rewards honest votes. If we do our job here and find the perfect method,
> no one will have to worry and they'll just be thinking about their
> opinions of the available choices.

Voter does not need gory details of method - but DOES need understanding
of the logic.