[EM] Ease of Voting

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed May 19 15:08:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 bql at bolson.org wrote:

> Let's pretend that the various methods are black-boxes on the "back end".
> On the "front end" is the ballot. If a voter doesn't understand the
> black-box back end, we hope they can at least understand how to express
> themserves on the ballot.
>
> Ballot Styles, from least to most complexity/information:
> Pick One (plurality)
> Approval
> Ranked (IRV,Condorcet,Borda)
> Rated (CR,IRNR)
>
> I suppose Ranked and Rated could be accompanied by Mike O's "AERLO"
> feature.

We have also discussed dyadic ballots and interval ballots, where some of
the intervals might overlap to allow voters some slack when not sure.

When I fill out recommendation forms for my former students, I am faced
with these kinds of ballots:

Is student in top 1% ?, top 5% ?, top 10% ?, etc.  The intervals overlap.
If I'm sure that the studentt is in the top five percent, and think that
the student may be in the top one percent, but am not sure, I can still
truthfully mark top 5%.

For elections why not have voters shade in an interval between zero and
100%, rather than just moving a slider to the middle of the interval?

Forest