[EM] Ease of Voting

bql at bolson.org bql at bolson.org
Wed May 19 14:07:05 PDT 2004

Let's pretend that the various methods are black-boxes on the "back end".
On the "front end" is the ballot. If a voter doesn't understand the
black-box back end, we hope they can at least understand how to express
themserves on the ballot.

Ballot Styles, from least to most complexity/information:
Pick One (plurality)
Approval
Ranked (IRV,Condorcet,Borda)
Rated (CR,IRNR)

I suppose Ranked and Rated could be accompanied by Mike O's "AERLO"
feature.

So, is it a problem to instruct a voter in the usage of a ballot?
"Choose One"
"Mark all choices you find to be acceptable."
"Enter 1 by your first choice, 2 by your second, and so on."
"Rate each choice on a scale of 1 to 10; 10 indicating your highest level
of preference."

Sociologists can argue over the best wording, but I think none of these is
out of reach of 95% of the voting populace. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

Ideally the method on the back end would be understandable, but it is less
crucial. But, if the back end is allowed to be a black box to some people
then I want to be absolutely certain that the method is fair and only
rewards honest votes. If we do our job here and find the perfect method,
no one will have to worry and they'll just be thinking about their
opinions of the available choices.