[EM] Ease of Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed May 19 12:24:01 PDT 2004

I know I disagree with some, but HOPE to make some sales:

If there is only one candidate that I care to rank above being a loser, I
want to do simple bullet voting, and ask only that the method keep that
simple.

When I want more, such as to vote for both Gore and Nader in 2000, I see:

      Condorcet as simplest - rank best first, use same thinking to rank
best of remainder next, and continue until I consider remainder to not
deserve ranking.  Desirable for the method to permit equal ranking - a
simple and understandable enhancement that I will sometimes desire.

      IRV - usually same as Condorcet, BUT, sometimes has a strategy
component - which I need to understand, and sometimes to use in defense.

      Plurality - the doing is simple, BUT the deciding is stressful for
Gore/Nader, etc., for strategy OFTEN matters.

      Approval - easy enough to approve best, and not approve worst, but
remainder are a headache - approving medium can cause best to lose to
medium, while not approving medium can let medium lose to worst.

      Methods that require more from voter than the above - require
learning about the method, and then learning enough about the candidates
to use the method.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.