[EM] Proxy

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sat May 15 19:00:01 PDT 2004

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

>I dunno; perhaps I'm not clear on what problems proxies are supposed to
>solve.   By making the decision-making process more fine-grained, I can
>see how it could generate more proportional representation among the
>decision makers, and avoid some the systematic bias of electioneering.
>
>However, I think Kurt raised a valid point - one which I recall was a
>concern of the U.S. "Founding Fathers."  Previously (if memory serves)
>Parliament was a ratifying body, merely approving or disapproving of the
>king's decrees.   The challenge was how to turn that into a *legistlative*
>body for actually creating laws.  That's why they took the somewhat risky
>step of two-year elections even for the House of Reps, rather than annual
>- to allow a more professionalized approach to legislature.
>
>I personally think the issue is less about who gets to *vote* on ideas,
>than who gets to *define* the options voted on.   That's something which
>requires time, expertise, staffing, and coalition building.

How about this:

- Bicameral legislature.  I'll call the two houses "senate" and "house" but
this is just for identification purposes.

- The "senate" is elected by a PR method.  The "senate" would act like a
normal legislative body, meeting in committees, drafting legislation, and
voting to pass it.  The only "tweak" would be that it would be unusually
easy to pass legislation - maybe only requiring 35% or 40% of the vote.

- the "house" would be a direct democracy using a proxy system.  The House
would not debate or draft legislation - it would only vote on legislation
(requiring the usual majority to pass).  If there is an executive veto,
only the house needs to vote to override it.  (Or perhaps a 2/3 vote is
considered "veto-proof".)

Basically, I'd put professional politicians in the senate in charge of
drafting laws, but the real up-and-down decisions are made by the people
(the "house") in as direct a fashion as possible.  To me, this seems like
the best of both worlds.

-Adam