[EM] Proxy

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Sat May 15 19:48:02 PDT 2004

Adam,
That's really cool.  The flaw to other schemes that I keep bumping my
head against is that proportional representation disenfranchises the
people below the cutoff point, even though their views might still be
valuable.  But DD by itself isn't good either because it just gets so
unwieldy in the drafting process.  A bicameral solutions like this
seems like an elegant way to solve that catch-22.

This way a Senate could pass something that largely reflects the
consensus that elected them, but the population has an exceptional
reason to oppose it, they could proxy against it on demand.

One thing I'd want to tinker with.  I like proportional representation
because it reflects the population (above the cutoff), and each Senator
has equal voting power.  However, I don't like the part where each
voter doesn't have a direct link to their Senator (even though that's
handled in the House in this scenario).  So I'd want a way for the
voter to still have more direct control over who fills their party's
seats, like through a multi-winner ranked ballot.  "If my first choice
is guaranteed to have a slot, then make my vote count for my second
choice."  Then I wonder if there's a good way for each voter to know
who "their" Senator is.

What I like about schemes like this is that it can be applied by a
software-driven web process for online communities.

Curt