[EM] Introductory Message

Toplak Jurij jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Sat May 8 00:34:01 PDT 2004

Well, 5% is among the highest thresholds (usually they are between 1% and
5%), but it is quite common in Europe - Germany uses 5%, I think Austria,
too, and so do many other countries. The highest legal threshold in PR that
I know of is in Austria at regional elections - it is 10%. And this is in
Charintia, where there is Slovenian national minority with just below 10% of
population. If threshold was set to let's say 4%, Slovenian party might win
a seat.

But, on the other hand, in United States the threshold is at between 40 and
50% per district, right? :)