[EM] Introductory Message

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Fri May 7 23:53:02 PDT 2004

In Belgium, a 5% thresold was introduced in the proportional system at
almost all level of election.

This is of course ridiculous and will proof to be anti-democratic if the
"Groen!" (Dutch speaking green party) get 4,9% as currently expected
less than 40 days before European Election.

Also it changed the shape of the political landscape in the Dutch
speaking side by having all small party merging with the BIG one.

I don't have a clue on why such a limit was introduce, but when you
consider electronic voting in use here and this 5% limit, one can
consider the lack of democracy in Belgium.

5% in Brussels regional election, it mean about 4 elected
representative!!! So it is 4 or 0.

I had a chance to talk with a representative of one of the 2 BIG party
in the French speaking region (we cas say there are 2 BIG and 2 small)
and he said he favour a system where there is only LEFT against RIGHT so
he was favouring the disparition of any small entity.

Those 5% are not even efficient to block the extremist party on the
dutch speaking side, because they are way above that limit!!!

Do you have any advocacy reference against those limit?
Any other country with such silly limit?

David GLAUDE

Dave Ketchum wrote:

>> Presently we vote for the parties that comprise the Knesset separately
>> from the PM.  I should like to see voter ratings of 1 - 120 (120
>> corresponding to the number of seats in the Knesset) for the parties
>> that are contending for seats in the Knesset.  Thus, theoretically,
>> one party could hold every seat in the Knesset (of course this
>> scenario is well nigh impossible, but the possibility should exist).
>> This voting procedure would not only determine which parties will
>> comprise the Knesset, and how many seats they will have, but will do
>> away with the present system of parties having to pass a 1.5% thre
>> shold of votes in order to have any representation at all (see
>> http://tinyurl.com/22woe).

(in case tiny URL disapear:
http://www.knesset.gov.il/description/eng/eng_mimshal_beh.htm)