[EM] electoral college/Serious thoughts

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Sat May 1 21:59:02 PDT 2004

Under your plurality suggestion, Bush would have won in 2000 even
though Gore was the Condorcet Winner.  Details here:
http://www.museworld.com/archives/001177.html
but in short, the calculations result with:

Bush: 48.17%
Gore: 48.01%
Nader: 2.77%
Other: 1.05%

of the Electoral Votes, if you allow fractional EVs.  Nader spoils Gore
in this case, too.  Also note that no one got 50% of the EVs, so no one
got 270 - it would have gone to the House.

There are a lot of bizarre problems if you don't allow fractional EVs,
for instance a swing state with an even number of EVs would not have a
lot of campaigning invested in it, while a swing state with an odd
number would.

The problem with it going to the house is that gerrymandering means
that the GOP has the advantage there even if the CW is Democrat.

Curt