[EM] electoral college/Serious thoughts

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun May 2 23:24:03 PDT 2004

On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:58:06 -0700 Curt Siffert wrote:

> Under your plurality suggestion, Bush would have won in 2000 even though
> Gore was the Condorcet Winner.  Details here:
> http://www.museworld.com/archives/001177.html
> but in short, the calculations result with:
>
> Bush: 48.17%
> Gore: 48.01%
> Nader: 2.77%
> Other: 1.05%
>
> of the Electoral Votes, if you allow fractional EVs.  Nader spoils Gore
> in this case, too.  Also note that no one got 50% of the EVs, so no one
> got 270 - it would have gone to the House.
>
> There are a lot of bizarre problems if you don't allow fractional EVs,
> for instance a swing state with an even number of EVs would not have a
> lot of campaigning invested in it, while a swing state with an odd
> number would.

I was doing it without constitutional amendments, so there could be no
fractional electors.

I see no sense in your words for swing states.  Try 20 electors with
strongest party getting 10, second party getting 9, and remaining 5
percent of vote determining whether remaining elector goes to Nader or a
party.

I also suggest that Nader electors NOT be pledged to vote for Nader if he
cannot win.

ANYWAY, NY could expect more than the zero attention it got in 2000.

> The problem with it going to the house is that gerrymandering means that
> the GOP has the advantage there even if the CW is Democrat.

Agreed that gerrymandering can muddy the water, but what makes you certain
of 26 Rep delegations, considering that the House CAN have a Dem majority?

> Curt

                  If you want peace, work for justice.