[EM] EM's Jargon dictionary

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun May 30 19:34:01 PDT 2004

Dave--

The EM homepage has a place to click on "Jargon", which I assume links to a
jargon dictionary.

I don't know who maintains it or how often it's updated. Of course ideally
it should be updated often, with all the terms, abbreviations, and acronyms
that are introduced on EM. That's easy for me to say, though, because I'm
not the one who has the task of maintaining the jargon dictionary.

I've always promptly answered questions about the meaning of a term that I
use, and have always promptly re-posted definitions upon request.

Ideally, the terms, abbreviations and acronyms should be in alphabetical
order, so that it would be easy to look one up.

Of course newly-posted terms and abbreviations won't be in the jargon
dictionary immediately, but will only appear there the next time that the
dictionary is updated.

When I define a method, enhancement, or criterion, I usually make sure to
give it its own posting and subject line, a subject line that clearly names
it. That makes it relatively easy to find my definitions in the archives.

Voting systems is an under-discussed topic, with no official academic
consensus. In fact the academics are mostly of no help at all. So,
especially for that reason, it's important that the jargon dictionary not
discriminate. It should list every term  and abbreviation that is defined on
EM.

It's easy to look up a term or abbreviation even in a very long list, if
they're in alphabetical order. If the list ran into the thousands of terms,
then the procedure for looking one up could include specifying the 1st
letter.  Of course another possibility would be an automatic search for a
term specified by the user.

To whoever maintains the jargon dictionary: E-mail me, or post a message to
EM, and I'll e-mail to you a collection of my terms, definitions and
abbreviations.

Mike Ossipoff