[EM] Gilmour, sincere rankings.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 27 17:00:02 PST 2004

James Gilmour--

Everyone here agrees that a sincere ranking is one that ranks candidates in
order of preference.

What you are referring to, a ranking that produces desired results, is known
here as a strategic ranking, especially when it violates the voter's sincere
preferences.

Replying to other comments:

A sincere Plurality vote is naturally one that votes for your favorite.

Sincerity in Approval isn't obvious, but it can still be defined. My
definition of sincere voting is intended to make my criteria work as
intended:

A voter votes sincerely if s/he doesn't reverse a sincere preference or fail
to vote a sincere preference that the balloting system in use would have
allowed hir to vote in addition to the preferences that s/he actually did
vote.

[end of sincere voting definiition]

Mike Ossipoff