[EM] ERIRV(fractional) doesn't fail WDSC in Markus' example.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:35:02 PST 2004

I'd said:

>ERIRV(whole) meets WDSC. Surprisingly, ERIRV(fractional)
>seems to also.

Markus replied:

ERIRV(fractional) doesn't meet WDSC. Example:

   20 A=B=C>E>...
   20 A=B=D>E>...
   20 A=C=D>E>...

   7 B>E>...
   7 C>E>...
   7 D>E>...

   38 E>...

   A majority of the voters strictly prefers candidate A
   to candidate E and ranks candidate A tied for top.
   Nevertheless, candidate E is the winner.

I reply:

WDSC doen't say that if a majorilty prefer X to Y, then Y mustn't win if
that majority rank X tied for top.

Here's what WDSC says:

If a majority of the voters prefer X to Y, then they must have a way of
voting that will ensure that Y won't win, without any member of that
majority reversing a sincere preference.

Because you say that a majority prefer A to E, we can assume that you're
saying that your rankings represent sincere preferences. Then, as you said,
a majority prefer A to E.

Do they have a way of voting that ensures that E won't win, without any of
them reversing a sincere preference? Sure. They can all insincerely vote A
alone in 1st place.

When they do that, A has an immediate majority and wins.

The A=B voters who insincerely vote A over B, and the A=C voters who
insincerely vote A over C, are falsifying a preference, but they aren't
reversing a  preference. WDSC only requires that they be able to keep E from
winning without reversing a preference.

Of course, in that example, even unmitigated IRV doesn't fail WDSC. But I've
posted examples in which unmitigated IRV fails WDSC.

For instance, my standard 3-candidate example:

Sincere preferences:

40: ABC
25: BAC
35: CBA

A majority prefer B to A.

But A wins unless at least some of the C voters insincerely vote B in 1st
place, over C.

In ERIRV(fractional), if the C voters voted C=B>A, then we have these
initial vote totals: