[EM] Agora poll website

Ma Anguo maanguo at giga.net.tw
Fri Feb 20 00:31:02 PST 2004

On Thursday 19 Feb 2004 10:38 am, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> The owner of the Agora polling website wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't want to seem too presumptuous, but polls are
> > what the bulletin board (agora at www.masquilier.org)
> > has been designed for.

> I reply:
>
> Sure, that would be interesting, to have many more
> voters. How many voters would the Agora website probably
> have?

Well... The site was published two weeks ago and only the
100 or so members of this list know about it. I have not
advertised it anywhere else (yet).  We have 4 registered
users (including myself) and one regular user (including
myself <grin>).

I have no doubt though that with some help it will grow: the
targeted users are the election-method newbies even though
there is a forum for experts to post their opinions.

The modification I made are based on phpBB: many of you may
not know of it, but it is a highly popular Free Software
used in many web sites all over the internet. Just look at
how much traffic (number of posts) the phpbb has on its own
website: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/

The MOD is a bit young and is still Beta quality (though
useable) but I am sure that with your feedback it will
mature and, one day, be part of the official phpbb release:
that day, Condorcet/Approval advocates will win a big
victory with the increased exposure of such alternative
voting methods.

Btw, I made appropriate changes to the site, following a few
comments I received in private.
I am now working on the documentation that will be useful
only to those who don't know anything about Condorcet. It
is not published yet.

> What methods does it count? In any case, maybe ballots
> voted at Agora could be pasted into a ballot area at our
> members' Condorcet count websites.

Currently, a poll can be created using one of the following
four options:
Condorcet (simple: truncation is ok) That's the default
setting.
Approval
Condorcet (strict, full ranking): maybe wanting a better
name.
Plurality

When viewing the result in Condorcet, the matrix is printed
and the name of the winner displayed (SSD-beatpath).

> So it seems to me that getting a greater number of votes
> from Agora needn't be a problem, and that it would be
> interesting to get more votes, from the Agora
> international polling website.

The polls in my site will not end next week but will be
ongoing for possibly a few years, so the first to vote
could be the members of this list, but the number of votes
can grow pretty high over time.

I just need your help to promote Condorcet/approval to those
who don't know about it.

> So, when I post the complete ballot, why don't you put it
> up at the Agora website, and start taking votes there.

Ok, I have duplicated your ballot into three polls
(Condorcet, Approval and Plurality). Please join in and
vote in the Agora > Create your own polls...
http://www.masquilier.org/

The Condorcet poll, with 45 candidates (!) makes for a
hell-of-a ballot!

Blessings,

Augustin

--
	Definition:
SCue: to sue people to your own detriment.

by EmbeddedJanitor
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=67171&cid=6166537