[EM] The Complete Ballot. Voting week starts now.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 19:36:02 PST 2004

The complete ballot is included in this posting, below these comments.

I've just realized that I missed _lots_ of nominations. Since the ones that
I missed were the last ones, and since I said that I'm listing them on the
ballot in order of nomination, that means that the newly-added names will go
at the end of the ballot.

But, if all those people can be nominated--Carter, Jerry Springer, Mondale,
Anderson, etc., shouldn't I be able to nominate Ken Livingstone?

This is an international mailing list, and we want an international
electorate. So why not allow the nomination of a candidate outside the U.S.?

This ballot is now quite long, and so I emphasize that truncation is allowd.
If you vote a ranking, there's no need to rank all the candidates. If you
vote CR ratings, there's no need to rate all the candidates.

If you vote a ranking and don't give a rank number to some of the
candidates, that automatically ranks them together below all the ones that
you've ranked.

If you vote CR ratings and you don't rate some candidates, that just gives
them 0 points from you.

And of course if you do Approval voting, then any candidate who doesn't get
an "x" from you doesn't get an Approval vote from you.

I should add that, though this ballot has 3 ballotings--ranking, Approval,
and CR ratings, you can vote without voting in all 3 ways. If you want to,
you can vote in just one of those ways. Or in just two of those ways. Or of
course, you can also vote in all three of those ways if you want to.

Automatic Equal Ranking Option:

This ballot has automatic equal ranking as an option. There's no way that
the selection of that option on a ballot can worsen the outcome for that
voter. It can only improve the outcome if anything. If none of your
above-line candidates win, and if there's a circular tie containing above
line & below line candidates, then your above-line candidates are moved up
to 1st place, and the count repeated. Promoting all the candidates above
some line in your ranking to 1st place if none of them wins can't worsen
your result.

In spite of that, it might seem undemocratic to suggest that, as a default
if a voter doesn't designate a position for an automatic equal ranking line,
it's assumed to be where the Approval cutoff is, with all candidates getting
Approval votes on that ballot being the ones above its automatic equal
ranking line. So I'm not saying that.

But what I am saying is that I suggest that, unofficiallly, a count be
conducted in which that default automatic equal ranking line is assumed. As
long as it's emphasized that it's unofficial, there's nothing wrong with
suggesting that such a count be conducted, for the Condorcet methods and any
rank method that allows more than one first choice.

So I suggest that unofficial count for all the rank methods that allow more
than one 1st choice--a count in which ballots not specifying an automatic
equal ranking position are assumed by default to have an equal ranking line,
with all of their Approval-voted candidates above that line.

Though that option can only improve a voter's outcome, it might sound
undemocratic to want that default to be official. So I'm suggesting that,
for each rank method, such a count be unofficially done and reported. If
that unofficial  result differs from the official count because of that
default assumtpion about your ballot, you'll like that unofficial result
better than the official one.

Though I haven't thoroughly studied its strategy, there's good reason to say
that a good place for the automatic equal ranking line is right where the
Approval cutoff is.

I've got so much text above the ballot in this posting that I'm going to
post the ballot a 2nd time, by itself.

By the way, I noticed that the voting-boxes in the posted ballot were in an
S-shaped arrangement. When I posted them the voting boxes were in a column.
Somehow they became displaced into an S-shape when e-mailed.

MCA favorites:

Since our rank ballot allows more than one 1st choice, shouldn't we say that
our MCA count is of the kind that allows more than one 1st choice? That
makes it easier than asking people to vote a separate single 1st choice. MCA
is still at least as good when more than one 1st choice is allowed. It's
then something of a 2-level Approval, but it still detects and elects
candidates who are favorite to a majority.

Because this complete ballot isn't being posted till 19 February, around
0330 GMT, let's say that the voting deadline will be 26 February, at 1200
GMT.

Anyway, here's the complete ballot, which I'm going to post again, by
itself:

Ballot:

If you want to have an Approval cutoff,  below what rank position do you
want it? [ ]

If you want to have an automatic equal ranking line, below what rank
position do you want it? [ ]

Candidates                Ranks   Approval     CR

Howard  Dean            [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Edwards                    [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Kerry                        [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Kucinich                    [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Nader                       [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Sharpton                   [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Jim Hightower            [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Amy Goodman            [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Ron Daniels                 [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Medea Benjamin          [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Winona LaDuke           [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Bill Moyers                   [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Peter Camejo              [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Michael Parenti            [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Cynthia McKinney         [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Noam Chomsky            [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Howard Zinn               [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Ramsey Clark               [ ]          [ ]           [ ]
Al Gore                       [ ]          [ ]           [ ]
Dick Gephardt             [ ]           [ ]           [ ]
Lieberman                   [ ]          [ ]           [ ]
Carol Moseley-Braun      [ ]          [ ]           [ ]
Bill Bradley                   [ ]          [ ]           [ ]
John McCaine              [ ]           [ ]           [ ]
Robert Dole                [ ]           [ ]           [ ]
Paul Tsongas              [ ]            [ ]           [ ]
Michael Dukakis            [ ]           [ ]           [ ]
Walter Mondale          [ ]             [ ]          [ ]
Jimmy Carter              [ ]             [ ]          [ ]
John Anderson           [ ]            [ ]           [ ]
Roberty Byrd              [ ]            [ ]           [ ]
Bernie Sanders            [ ]            [ ]           [ ]
Jerry Springer             [ ]            [ ]            [ ]
Ken Livingstone          [ ]             [ ]           [ ]
Ron Paul                     [ ]          [ ]          [ ]
Jerry Falwell                [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Micharel Badnerik         [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Gary Nolan                  [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Aaron Russo                [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Blake Ashby                [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Bill Wyatt                    [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
John Rigazio                [ ]           [ ]          [ ]
Millie Howard               [ ]           [ ]          [ ]