Handling write-ins & typos (was Re: Online MAM tallying server (was Re: [EM] I Propose an EM Poll on Presidential Candidates))

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 16 13:15:14 PST 2004

Eric Gorr wrote:
> Steve Eppley wrote:
> >If every vote omits an alternative, I don't see a need to
> >include it in the reported results.
>
> True, probably not necessary...as I said, not a big issue.
>
> Of course, the other problem with this style of input is that a
> typo in an option would be counted as two or more options. Again,
> easy to fix, for the user, but I tend to prefer interfaces that
> minimize the potential for user error, requiring them to go back
> and fix a mistake.

Treating each misspelled name as another candidate will
cause it to appear in the reported results, which does
provide feedback about user errors.  I would expect that
would suffice, in a close election where it makes a
difference, for someone to notice and point out and have
fixed.

Again, we can have it all ways.  We could provide a "check
box" option that turns on/off a requirement that all
alternatives ranked in the votes be in the given list of
alternatives.  That would have the effect of disallowing
write-in candidates, unless every vote is externally
(manually?) scanned for write-ins so those can be appended
to the list of alternatives.

When set to allow write-ins, candidates not in the given
(possibly incomplete) list of alternatives can be
prominently reported, providing additional feedback.

Write-in candidates could be selected from a list of all
eligible candidates, if possible, and if not possible then
write-ins could be processed using some sort of "soundex"
function in order to treat similarly spelled names as the
same candidate.

To minimize the potential for user error, the interface
should be designed not to allow entry of typos in the first
place, if possible, so they won't have any mistakes to go
back and fix.  For instance, when voting, each voter could
drag & drop the nominees into the desired order. (Top to
bottom is probably most intuitive.)