Online MAM tallying server (was Re: [EM] I Propose an EM Poll on Presidential Candidates)

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Feb 11 21:13:02 PST 2004

At 7:07 PM -0800 2/11/04, Steve Eppley wrote:
>Eric Gorr wrote:
>>  At 10:59 AM -0800 2/11/04, Steve Eppley wrote:
>>  -snip-
>>  >It also expects to be given a list of the alternatives, but
>>  >sometime in the near future I intend to post a version that
>>  >constructs the list of alternatives by examining the votes.
>>
>  > Will will not work if all voters leave one or more of
>>  the available options unranked. Perhaps not a big issue,
>>  but it is why, with my calculator, I ask for the number
>  > of options.

>If every vote omits an alternative, I don't see a need to
>include it in the reported results.

True, probably not necessary...as I said, not a big issue.

Of course, the other problem with this style of input is that a typo
in an option would be counted as two or more options. Again, easy to
fix, for the user, but I tend to prefer interfaces that minimize the
potential for user error, requiring them to go back and fix a mistake.

>How does Eric's calculator handle write-in candidates?

The write-in candidates are just an addition option and I ask for the
total number of options.