[EM] I Propose an EM Poll on Presidential Candidates

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 04:10:02 PST 2004

It's been suggested that we do some polls on EM, to demonstrate the voting
systems.

I've always believed that actually using the voting systems is an important
part of studying them, and that we should do much more polling than we've
done so far.

So far, we've held a poll around '96 or '97, foro the best voting system.
Smith PC won.

We held another poll, more recently (2001?) for the best voting system.
Approval won, in every category.

More recently than that, there was a poll about the various political
parties.

So I suggest 1) that EM should do more polls, to demonstrate the methods,
and 2) that we do a poll now.

At any time we could vote on the best voting system. Now, in a U.S.
presidential year, when the primaries haven't yet narrowed the field of
sleazes, this would be a good time to do a presidential poll.

Later we could do a poll on the best voting system, in 2 categories, pure
merit and best public proposal.

So I propose that we now hold a poll on the U.S. presidential candidates.

I don't believe that it's necessary to nominate them. Certain candidates are
known to be running.
Anyone known to be a presidential candidate should be considered
automatically nominated.

But, other than the big-2 parties, we don't  hear much about who's running
for nomination, or who intends to run in November as an independent. So
let's have a 3-day nomination perioid during which anyone can nominate any
candidate.

I've heard that it's possible that Camejo will be chosen as the Greens'
presidential candidate. I don't know if he's a declared candidate. But I
nominate Camejo.