[EM] March 29 Newsweek article on verifiable voting

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Sun Apr 4 12:12:02 PDT 2004

Hi all,

On Apr 3, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Jan Kok wrote:
> David Chaum's Votegrity scheme, which uses cryptographic methods
> tomaintain
> ballot secrecy while also allowing voters to verify that their votes
> are
> counted correctly (see www.votegrity.com);
>
> "A similar system [to Votegrity] sold by sftware vendor VoteHere"
> allows
> voters to verify that their votes were correctly recorded using a
> tracking
> code.

Has anyone seen/analyzed VoteHere's standards and implementation?

http://www.votehere.net/about.htm

> Rigorous Standards for E-Voting
>
>  In addition to creating secure election technology, VoteHere has also
> developed E-voting System Standards to be used as a building block for
> the Federal Election Commission and other standard setting bodies such
> as the UK Electoral Commission, OASIS, and the UK National Forum for
> Internet and Democracy.
>
> These standards will ensure that any new voting system meets the
> critical factors of fairness, accuracy, privacy, and verifiability -
> all critical to the integrity of the election.

My brother's a financial wiz, and is looking at investing in some
e-voting software, so I'm trying to figure out if any of them are
really technically rigorous. :-)   VoteHere doesn't seem to do Open
Source, but otherwise they -seem- to be making all the right sounds.

-- Ernie P.

RadicalCentrism.org is an anti-partisan think tank near Sacramento,
California, dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of
Reality, Character, Community and Humility as expressed in our Radical
Centrist Manifesto: Ground Rules of Civil Society
<http://RadicalCentrism.org/manifesto.html>