[EM] March 29 Newsweek article on verifiable voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Apr 4 22:40:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:11:44 -0700 Ernest Prabhakar wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > On Apr 3, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Jan Kok wrote:
 >
 >> David Chaum's Votegrity scheme, which uses cryptographic methods
 >> tomaintain
 >> ballot secrecy while also allowing voters to verify that their votes are
 >> counted correctly (see www.votegrity.com);
 >>
 >> "A similar system [to Votegrity] sold by sftware vendor VoteHere" allows
 >> voters to verify that their votes were correctly recorded using a tracking
 >> code.
 >

 > Has anyone seen/analyzed VoteHere's standards and implementation?
 >
 > http://www.votehere.net/about.htm
 >
 >> Rigorous Standards for E-Voting
 >>
 >>  In addition to creating secure election technology, VoteHere has also
 >> developed E-voting System Standards to be used as a building block for
 >> the Federal Election Commission and other standard setting bodies such
 >> as the UK Electoral Commission, OASIS, and the UK National Forum for
 >> Internet and Democracy.
 >>
 >> These standards will ensure that any new voting system meets the
 >> critical factors of fairness, accuracy, privacy, and verifiability -
 >> all critical to the integrity of the election.
 >

 > My brother's a financial wiz, and is looking at investing in some
 > e-voting software, so I'm trying to figure out if any of them are really
 > technically rigorous. :-)   VoteHere doesn't seem to do Open Source, but
 > otherwise they -seem- to be making all the right sounds.

Is VoteHere a whole system, or just a service to include in a system?

Anyway, I STRONGLY recommend Sequoia as a standard for comparison, though
not necessarily for investing:
       I have been voting on Sequoia machines for 30 years.
       Must have been 60 years ago I first saw one of those, new.
       Look around at the publicity about sicknesses - Sequoia machines do
get used in Florida, etc., but are NOT THE CHAMPION at inspiring the stories.
       Between Votegrity and VoteHere, at least one gets mentioned on
http://www.sequoiavote.com/
       Major owner of Sequoia was Irish; British outfit is now major owner
- I get the impression they were buying quality to go with quality of
their existing products.
       Bias conceded, but I see reason to be proud - Sequoia machines made
in Owego get displayed at local business shows.

 > -- Ernie P.
                   If you want peace, work for justice.