[EM] CR/Approval method, RWE

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Sep 30 18:29:02 PDT 2003

This version of Chris's could be called "runoff done right."

It preserves the idea of not "lowering your vote" until lack of viability
forces it upon you, but it has a better measure of viability than ordinary
runoff, and it doesn't make "irrevocable decisions based on partial
information" (a nice phrase I first heard from Mike Ossipoff).

We could also get a method called "Coombs done right" by setting the
approval cutoffs just above the least preferred viable candidate on the
ballot at each stage.

Kevin's method is a compromise between "runoff done right" and "Coombs
done right."

Another compromise suited to ranked ballots would be to set the cutoff at
the median viable candidate (instead of Kevin's mean CR candidate) at each
stage.

Forest