[EM] CR/Approval method, RWE

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 30 21:13:02 PDT 2003

 --- Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu> a écrit :
> Another compromise suited to ranked ballots would be to set the cutoff at
> the median viable candidate (instead of Kevin's mean CR candidate) at each
> stage.

This is an interesting idea.  I wonder if it would prove to be cloneproof?

My preference would be to use the original method with limited ranks.  I don't
see a particular reason why the method couldn't work with three or four slots.

Chris said:
> > I  like Kevin 's  "another  CR/Approval  method", and  I think it would
> > be good if  the name contained a reference to the
> > type of  ballot  used. Maybe something like  "Venzke Ratings"?

I'm going to just call the method "GIA," myself.  Before I slap my name on it,
I at least want to program it and have a look at how it works.  Maybe it's
awful!

> > It has occurred to me that the method  is similar in concept to  "Runoff
> >  Without Elimination". This quickly led me to
> > realise that RWE  could be simply improved  by instead of candidates
> > being permanently "shunted", we adopt Kevin's
> > mechanism of  marking candidates (maybe temporarily) "not viable", and
> > also we use Kevin's stopping rule (when all
> > but one candidate is marked "not viable").

This definitely improves RWE, I think.  I wonder if a similar alteration to
AERWE/Approval Runoff would be preferable?

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr