[EM] CR/Approval method, RWE

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 30 14:37:04 PDT 2003

I  like Kevin 's  "another  CR/Approval  method", and  I think it would
be good if  the name contained a reference to the
type of  ballot  used. Maybe something like  "Venzke Ratings"?
It has occurred to me that the method  is similar in concept to  "Runoff
 Without Elimination". This quickly led me to
realise that RWE  could be simply improved  by instead of candidates
being permanently "shunted", we adopt Kevin's
mechanism of  marking candidates (maybe temporarily) "not viable", and
also we use Kevin's stopping rule (when all
but one candidate is marked "not viable").

"Inproved" RWE  (Venzke CR/Approval  adapted  for plain ranked ballots):

Ranked ballots, equal preferences and truncation ok.
First iteration: Count the first preference votes  and  mark the
candidate with the lowest tally as "not viable".
Reset the tallies to zero.
Second iteration: Each ballot contributes a vote each (no split votes)
to their favourite candidate/s of those not marked
"not viable", and also to any marked "not viable" for whom  they show
equal or higher preference .Now mark the two
candidates with the lowest tallies as "not viable", and reset all
tallies to zero.
And so on, each time marking as many candidates "not viable" as there
have been iterations(inclusive). The tag expires if
it is not renewed at the next iteration. When all but one candidate is
marked as "not viable" , then that candidate wins.

Chris Benham