[EM] Re: CRCLE ( Resolving Cycles- Margins Doesn't Do Very Well )

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 15:42:02 PDT 2003

Kevin Venzke wrote:
> I don't know if anyone here prefers margins to WV.

Yep.  More than a few of us do.  Margins advocates just tend to be less
vocal since we don't care as much about the issue as winning-votes fans do.
 Blake Cretney and I have argued patiently against winning-votes in the
past, but we don't respond every time winning-votes is praised on the list.
 Search the archives for "margins legrand" or "margins cretney" to find our
arguments.  I'm much more interested in Approval than ranked-ballot methods
now anyway, and I don't want to fan the flames of yet another margins vs.
winning-votes thread.

In April 2001 we had two polls on this list.  The first poll was to decide
the topic for the second; the winner was single-winner voting systems.  The
second poll was really two polls, as there were seperate ballots to choose
the best voting system for public proposal and the best voting system on
pure merit.  Both were won convincingly by Approval Voting, but every
margins method in the second poll defeated every winning-votes method
pairwise according to both sets of ranked ballots.  So even if
winning-votes advocates outnumber margins preferrers now, that wasn't
always the case.  I personally find winning-votes mostly harmless but
wholly valueless.

=====
Rob LeGrand, psephologist
rob at approvalvoting.org