[EM] CRCLE ( Resolving Cycles- Margins Doesn't Do Very Well )

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 15:15:01 PDT 2003

Kevin Venzke wrote in part:

>Instead, try RP(wv). Instead of locking defeats in order of the greatest
>margins, lock them in order of greatest absolute votes received by the
winner.

>> For the example:
>>
>> 45 A
>> 6 B>A
>> 5 B>C
>> 44 C>B
>>
>> A versus B 45 v 55 margin 10 winner B
>> A versus C 51 v 49 margin 2 winner A
>> B versus C 11 v 44 margin 33 winner C

>RP(wv) locks B>A (strength 55), then A>C (strength 51), and overrules
>  C>B (strength 44). The ranking is B>A>C, the same thing you achieved with
your
>rule.

This explanation of the difference between margins and winning votes was very
useful.

Ranked Pairs as detailed at Condorcet.org ( Blake Cretney )

http://condorcet.org/rp/intro.shtml

advocates margins as a means of resolving ties. I feel this is somewhat
unfortunate ( if you support  Condorcet ) since this is one of the websites a
person looked for an explanation of Condorcet's method is most likely to find
first.

David Gamble