[EM] Re: CRCLE ( Resolving Cycles- Margins Doesn't Do Very Well )

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 8 18:57:17 PDT 2003

Rob,

 --- Rob LeGrand <honky1998 at yahoo.com> a écrit :
> Kevin Venzke wrote:
> > I don't know if anyone here prefers margins to WV.
>
> Yep.  More than a few of us do.  Margins advocates just tend to be less
> vocal since we don't care as much about the issue as winning-votes fans do.
>  Blake Cretney and I have argued patiently against winning-votes in the
> past, but we don't respond every time winning-votes is praised on the list.
>  Search the archives for "margins legrand" or "margins cretney" to find our
> arguments.  I'm much more interested in Approval than ranked-ballot methods
> now anyway, and I don't want to fan the flames of yet another margins vs.
> winning-votes thread.

Alright.  I'll simply post an old example that alarms me:

49 A
24 B
27 C>B

It seems to me unintuitive to overrule the only contest in which everyone expressed
their opinion.

I also like Approval-like methods...  I'm banging my head trying to come up with
some improvement (though I'll gladly take MCA), something that might be more prone
to producing the CW, but without ever requiring a voter to understand what a
"cycle" is.

A thought I got excited about, programmed, and discarded yesterday was to find
an approval winner, and elect the candidate with the greatest pairwise defeat
over him (if such a candidate exists).  Garbage.  But it avoided the concepts
of "cycle" and "beatsall winner."

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr