[EM] Another PR method based on ranked ballots

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 25 20:47:10 PST 2003

Stephane Rouillon said:
> I do not like super-majorities because the limit is artificial:
> 55%, 60%, 66%, 75%
> it leads toward changing the rule to win...
>
> I prefer two consecutive majority votes with an election between them.
> This is how fundamental laws are changed for any assembly or union in
> Quebec.

That's a reasonable proposal.  I still have some qualms about raw
majoritarianism, but for many situations I can see how it's a reasonable
arrangement.  We have something akin to that for Congressional pay raises:
 No pay raise takes effect until we've had a new election.  This is the
27th amendment to the Constitution.

Interesting aside on the 27th:  It was proposed more than 200 years ago,
and from time to time a state would ratify it, but it didn't cross the 3/4
threshold until 1991 or 1992.  The people in DC had to huddle and consult
some experts before confirming that it was in fact legitimate and legal
(mainly I guess they needed to confirm ratifications that took place in
various states more than a century ago, just to be sure these
ratifications weren't apocryphal).

Anyway, a question:  I've heard that Canada's Parliament is bicameral.
Does the second chamber have any real power?  How is it elected?

Alex