[EM] MinMax variant

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Mar 14 16:06:04 PST 2003

How about this modification of this variant?

Start with the pairwise matrix P in which the number in the row
corresponding to candidate X and the column corresponding to candidate Y
is the number of ballots ranking (or rating or grading) X strictly above
Y.

Order the candidates according to the maximum entry in their columns, i.e.
their maximum pairwise oppositions. [Of the two possible orders, choose
the one that puts the max max opposition candidate at the bottom of the
list and the min max opposition candidate at the top.]

Bubble sort this order to get its local Kemenization.

This is done by starting at the top and working your way down through the
order, letting each candidate percolate up as far as possible by
transpositions of adjacent candidates whenever dictated by the pairwise
win matrix. [This pairwise win matrix is obtained from the pairwise matrix
P by subtracting its transpose from it, replacing all resulting positive
numbers by ones, and zeroing out the rest of the matrix.]

I like this method because it comes close to satisfying the FBC.

Why would you rank Compromise over Favorite?  Only if you thought that
Favorite would get in the way of Compromise during the percolation
process, i.e. only if ...

(1) Favorite can beat Compromise head-to-head, and (2) Favorite's max
opposition is smaller than Compromise's max opposition, AND (3) Compromise
can beat all the candidates who at worst give up fewer points than
Favorite, including at least one that Favorite cannot beat.

You would have to be pretty fickle to abandon Favorite on account
of some poll pretending to be accurate enough to predict all of that.

Forest