[EM] MinMax variant

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 7 15:09:04 PST 2003

On 7 Mar 2003 at 10:42, Forest Simmons wrote:

> Has anybody ever proposed minimizing the maximum opposition
> rather than minimizing the maximum defeat?

It's a reasonably good method, although it doesn't satisfy some
criteria I consider important such as Minimal Defense (which is
similar to Mike Ossipoff's Strong Defensive Strategy Criterion) and
Clone Independence. (That's why I think the best method is a
variation of Ranked Pairs which I call Maximize Affirmed Majorities,
or MAM.  See the web pages at www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley for
more info and rigorous proofs.  The website is still under
construction, not yet friendly for people who aren't social
scientists, and most of the web pages requires a web browser that
supports HTML 4.0 and Microsoft's "symbol" font to be viewed
properly.)

Minimax(pairwise opposition) even satisfies a criterion promoted by
some advocates of Instant Runoff, which I call "Uncompromising":

   Let w denote the winning alternative given some set
   of ballots.  If one or more ballots that had only w
   higher than bottom are  changed so some other
   "compromise" alternative x is raised to second
   place (still below w but raised over all the other
   alternatives) then w must still win.

The proof that Minimax(pairwise opposition) satisfies Uncompromising
is simple:  Raising x increases the pairwise opposition for all
candidates except w and x, and does not decrease the pairwise
opposition for any candidate, so w must still have the smallest
maximum pairwise opposition.

That criterion can be strengthened somewhat and still be satisfied:
Changing pairwise indifferences to strict preferences in ballots that
ranked w top cannot increase w's pairwise opposition or decrease any
other alternatives' pairwise opposition.

> I know that theoretically this could elect the Condorcet Loser, but it
> seems very unlikely that it would do so.
-snip-

Minimax(pairwise defeat) can also elect a Condorcet Loser. Suppose
there are 4 alternatives, 3 of them in the top cycle but involved in
a "vicious" cycle.  If the pairwise defeats of the 4th are slim
majorities, the 4th wins.

As for the likelihood, this may depend on how you model voters'
preferences.  In a spatial model with sincere voting, I think you're
right.  But what if supporters of the Condorcet Loser vote
strategically to create a vicious cycle?

Minimax(pairwise opposition) can also defeat a "weak" Condorcet
Winner, one that wins all its pairings but does not have more than
half the votes in each of its pairings.  The CW may defeat candidate
x pairwise by a plurality such as 48% (less than half the votes) and
that might be x's largest opposition, whereas the CW may have a
larger opposition, such as 49%, in some pairing.

But it satisfies a weaker Condorcet-consistency criterion:

   If there is a "strong" Condorcet Winner (an alternative
   that wins each of its pairings by more than half of the
   votes) then it must be elected.

Thus anyone who claims no Condorcet-consistent method satisfies
Uncompromising is incorrect.

-- Steve Eppley