[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet but not in IRV?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Aug 21 20:38:02 PDT 2003

I see topics worth commenting on:

If a method other than Plurality is to be given to/inflicted on Plurality
voters, there is MUCH need for adequate education as to need to get beyond
the minimal knowledge suitable for bullet voting, and how to express
yourself on a ballot.  This is NOT properly the business of parties or
candidates.

Similarly, parties have to get beyond "vote for us" and into who is the
worst enemy and why this party's candidates should get high rankings even
among voters unwilling to give top ranking.  Even candidates get in on
some of this.

Polling is a painful subject:
       Accurate polling is needed to help candidates decide whether current
strategy needs amending.
       Accurate polling can be desired by those who would use it
destructively.
       INaccurate polling has been used in the past to trick voters into
voting against their own interests.
       Not clear to me whether forbidding polling immediately before
elections would help or hurt.

Dave Ketchum

--
davek at clarityconnect.com  http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek