[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet but not in IRV?

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Fri Aug 22 08:30:18 PDT 2003

At 11:38 PM -0400 8/21/03, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>Polling is a painful subject:
>       Accurate polling is needed to help candidates decide whether current
>strategy needs amending.

I'm curious, why would a candidate tell their supporters to provide
accurate information?

When polling there would seem to be three possible outcomes:

1. Accurate information will help you
2. Accurate information will neither help nor harm you
3. Accurate information will harm you

Since there would then appear to be only a 1/3% chance that accurate
information will help you, why take the risk and provide it?

Of course, if you want to harm the candidate you dislike and know
they trust polls, one of the best ways would be to provide them with
inaccurate information.

>       Not clear to me whether forbidding polling immediately before
>elections would help or hurt.

It would seem to be just unnecessary.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===