[EM] Truncation error in STV

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 11:47:16 PDT 2003

> At 09:59 +0100 6.8.2003, James Gilmour wrote:
> >  > Why can't we
> >>  round off 19.998 to 20.00? Is it because the rounding error might
> >>  help a candidate to reach the quota?
> >
> >You did not "round OFF", you rounded UP".
>
> I'm sorry if I used the wrong term.

No, now that I've seen that calculator, I don't think you did use the wrong term.  It is the UK
usage of "round up" that is probably imprecise.  The Round Off Number calculator does indeed "round
off".  In one circumstance it "rounds up"; in the other it "rounds down".  We tend to be lazy and
just say "round up" when we really mean "round off" as defined above.

Of course, it is the "round up" when the terminal digit is "5" that can cause an illegal overflow.

James