[EM] Truncation error in STV

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Wed Aug 6 10:55:37 PDT 2003

At 09:59 +0100 6.8.2003, James Gilmour wrote:
>  > Why can't we
>>  round off 19.998 to 20.00? Is it because the rounding error might
>>  help a candidate to reach the quota?
>
>You did not "round OFF", you rounded UP".

I'm sorry if I used the wrong term. I was intending to use it in this meaning:
"Round off Number
# Add 1 to the last digit retained if the first digit dropped is
greater than or equal to 5.
# No change to the last digit retained if the first digit dropped is
less than 5."
http://www.gomath.com/algebra/round.php
The calculator on the site drops the noughts when rounding to the
nearest hundredth: 19.998 = 20

Thanks for your reply.

Olli Salmi