[EM] Truncation error in STV

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 11 22:52:53 PDT 2003

Olli,

I agree that the accuracy cannot be increased because the level of
precision used gives a error of zero (0). What makes you think
I said anything different?
The formula I gave "1/(nb of votes *2^ (nb cand-2) ) so no misranking appears."
is the precision necessary to get a zero error.
"nb cand" is the number of starting candidate and it does not
vary after each transfer. Was that the problem?
As the number of candidates grows, the precision diminishes, so the number of
digits increases slowly. For a little more than every 3 candidates, an extra digit

is necessary to preserve an error of zero.
But for a given election, once you know the number of starting candidates,
the number of digits for the calculations "mantisse" is fixed.

Stéphane