[EM] List PR with multiple votes per person?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Aug 7 20:39:04 PDT 2003

Has anyone ever thought of this?  Or does anyone think it could make a difference?

I was thinking about Alex's thoughts on a one-dimensional spectrum possibly being
inevitable, and I had the thought that list PR forces each person to settle on a
selection.  But if a voter had 5 votes, let's say, maybe an animal rights party
could get a seat (for instance).

I don't think this would be as effective in a parliamentary setting (i.e., where
a majority gets to form the government).

I've occasionally tried to design methods that try to identify a spectrum and
pick the candidate who seems to fit on it the least, but the results are either
comparable to Condorcet (you get a centrist), or they're amusingly undemocratic.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr