[EM] Bucklin-Condorcet PR

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 7 19:31:02 PDT 2003

Previously, in the "Condorcet elimination PR" thread, I wrote:
"Further  on the subject of my proposal  to modify STV-PR by , after
transfering supluses, eliminating the Condorcet loser among those votes
and fractions of votes not tied up in quotas: I am afraid I have
discovered that this method fails FBC (Favourite Betrayal Criterion).
To demonstrate the problem, I have slightly modified your example by
introducing  candidate X.

300 votes,  3 seats,  Droop quota = 75.

74   A B C D X E
39   B A C D X E
75   C
37   D X E C B A
73   E D X C B A
 2   X E D C B A

Compared to your example, all that has changed is that X has  stood and
taken  2 first preference votes from D and has occupied  the runner-up
Condorcet loser position. The result, CBD, is unchanged.
The problem is that if  those 2  X  supporters had reversed their top
two preferences, then E would have got a quota and the result would have
been CEB. By insincerely down-ranking their favourite, those two voters
could have caused their second prefernce to be elected instead of their
third."
This was maybe not so clever because this is just the mildest form of
FBC  which no ranked-ballot method can avoid. For a simple single-winner
example, I lifted this from  http://www.condorcet.org

45 ABC
35 BCA
25 CAB

"In this example, A would normally win. However, the BCA voters could
improve the outcome (from their perspective) by voting CBA, which would
result in C winning with a majority of first place votes."
With sincere voting, A is the clear beats-all CW (as well as the
Plurality and IRV winner), but by "betraying" their favourite, the B
voters can elect their second preference C.

I now propose a non-elimination version of ranked-ballot PR, which
combines Bucklin and Condorcet.
Ranked ballots, equal preferences ok. Count the first preference votes.
Equal  preferences are divided into equal fractions (which sum to 1).If
any candidates have  a Droop quota they are elected, and then reduce the
values of the ballots which have elected members by an amount which sums
to a Droop quota.
If more than one place remains unfilled,  proceed to to the second
round. Add the second preference votes to the first preferences (based
on the value of the ballots after the any reductions that were  made the
previous round). If this gives any candidate a Droop quota, then elect
the candidate with the highest tally. If  there is a tie, then elect the
tied candidate who had  the bigger tally at the last round, if still
tied then the round before that if  there was one, otherwise the
Condorcet winner of the tied candidates based on the ballots after the
most recent devaluations. Reduce the value of the ballots that  elected
this winner by an amount that sums to a Droop quota. If  there is still
more than one place unfilled and if after the latest devaluing of
ballots any candidates have a Droop quota, then elect the one with the
highest tally (same tie-breaking proceedure) and so on.
If there is more than one place to be filled, then add the third
preference votes to the tallies of first and second preferences and if
that gives any candidate a Droop quota, then as before the candidate
with the highest tally is elected and so on.
If  proceeding in this way leads to the situation where there is one and
only one more place to be filled, then based on the ballots after all
the devaluations elect the Condorcet Winner.

This method is I think simpler to count than any version of STV, and it
might be monotonic.It performs very well in all the examples that I have
seen that showed up Condorcet Loser elimination STV. In the simple
example at the top, it elects C A E in that order.
Soon I will post more on this, going through some examples.

Chris Benham