[EM] List PR with multiple votes per person?

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Sat Aug 9 07:24:02 PDT 2003

I understand that in Switzerland different interest groups publish
lists of candidates they find suitable so they probably think it's
advantageous.

In this country I haven't noticed anything like this. My
understanding is that with our SNTV within the party list a Droop
quota of voters of a party is certain to get a seat, and often the
number is smaller, so different views within the party get a voice,
although not necessarily as a spectrum. It's a question of
concentrating your votes.

The higher the number of votes that a voter has, the higher the
threshold of exclusion.

Here's something about the threshold in limited voting.

"Limited Voting

Limited voting is similar to traditional at-large elections, except
voters must cast fewer votes than the number of seats. The greater
the difference between the number of seats and the number of votes,
the greater the opportunities for fair representation of those in the
minority. The "threshold of exclusion" in limited voting is the
number of votes divided by the number of votes plus the number of
seats. For example, in a race to elect five candidates in which
voters had two votes, any cohesive group of voters comprising two
sevenths (28.6 percent) of the electorate would be guaranteed to win
one seat."
http://www.southerncouncil.org/helpnet/articles/alternative2.html

With one vote the threshold equals the Droop quota.

Olli Salmi