[EM] Bounded AV

hager2002 at lsh107.siteprotect.com hager2002 at lsh107.siteprotect.com
Sun Apr 28 17:00:18 PDT 2002

I have a question that has been bugging me, and now that I'm not a
candidate I can indulge myself.

I read a paper by Marji Lines (cited by Brams) dealing with the Venetian
Republic's use of AV.  If I didn't misunderstand, the Venetian Republic
used AV but required that the winner get 66%.  I later read in another
paper about a "rule of 64%".  In essence it said that single winner would
be assured with no cycles in something called an "n-dimensional issue
space" as n approached infinity at just under 64%.  Is an "n-dimensional
issue space" just a recondite way of saying n choices?  And, if it does
mean that, was the Venetian system "perfect" in the sense that it avoided
cycles?

This suggests replacing the idea of None of the Above (NOTA) with the
Venetian system.  NOTA is a veto such that if it gets a majority, all
candidates are rejected and a new election with different candidates is
held.  With the Venetian system, set it up so that a failure of any
candidate to get at least 66% means that all candidates are rejected and a
new election with new candidates must be held.

paul hager		hager2002 at hager2002.org

"The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason."
			-- Thomas Paine, THE AGE OF REASON

----