[EM] Re: The Allure of IRV

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 26 14:44:07 PDT 2002

Mr. Ossipoff wrote in part-

I guess my main concern with Condorcet proposals is that it takes
some listening, some attention, some study, for a person to understand
why one rank-count is better than another. I just don't know if
enough people will make that effort.

---
D- Your average friendly citizen-neighbor does NOT have the 200 (???)  plus
political I.Q.'s of the folks on the EM list.

About 40 percent of our fellow citizens are functional illiterates (for a
variety of reasons).  I guess that another 30 percent are only slightly
better in the reading area.

Thus -- the only the standard KIS principle (Keep It Simple) likely has a
chance for election method reforms in *real* public elections.

History indicates the super- deadly danger of having *strong* executives
having legislative powers -- Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin, etc.

Which election methods will reduce / increase the chances of getting such
types of folks in high offices again ???

Is Approval rather simple (even for the above circa 70 percent of folks --
and even if it produces *dull* compromise folks) ???

----