The Allure of IRV

hager2002 at lsh107.siteprotect.com hager2002 at lsh107.siteprotect.com
Fri Apr 26 07:47:20 PDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Adam & Paul--
>
> Ok it's true that people who've heard of rank balloting correctly
> sense that it can give them something that can't otherwise be
> gotten. I don't want to seem to be opposing the proposing of
> Condorcet; it's my favorite too.
>
> In fact, the 2000 Presidential election, and what followed, is
> a convincing argument for the desirability of being able to vote
> 3 candidate merit levels instead of 2. A luxury of the best
> Condorcet versions is that you can vote as many merit levels as
> you want to. Three merit levels would be just right for me in the 2000
> Presidential election, if that election were re-held tomorrow.
>
> But compared to Plurality, Approval gives voters a lot more opportunity for
> expression,
> and variety of ways to vote, different strategies, different ways
> of saying something by your vote. And most important of all,
> no matter what strategy you use, you can be assured that no one
> will ever use the strategy of burying their favorite. Though Approval
> doesn't let us vote all of our pairwise preferences, people will typically
> be voting about half of their preferences in Approval.
>
> Of course I'd rather have the best Condorcet methods, ideally.
>
> I guess my main concern with Condorcet proposals is that it takes
> some listening, some attention, some study, for a person to understand
> why one rank-count is better than another. I just don't know if
> enough people will make that effort. And it's necessary that they
> do, if we're going to get a _good_ rank-count adopted. People who
> listen and take the necessary time will understand that Condorcet(wv)
> is the rank-count that they want. But will enough people make that
> effort?
>
> Mike Ossipoff

Mike --

I essentially agree with your points.  My statement that Condorcet is a
fallback -- and it is -- doesn't say anything about my readiness to fall
back.  Frankly, I see it as unlikely that it would be necessary to
seriously consider it.  However, political realities dictate that I show
that a public ratification of voting reform -- by electing me -- will be
followed by a review of the options by experts and political
"stakeholders".  In this regard, I see Condorcet only as the good
alternative that will be available to be rejected.

Regards,

paul hager		hager2002 at hager2002.org

"The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason."
			-- Thomas Paine, THE AGE OF REASON

----