How to vote in Approval

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 22:57:54 PST 2002

Okay, so far I've seen at least three proposals for Approval strategy:

1. Approve every candidate you prefer to the current first-placer; approve the
   current first-placer if you prefer him to the current second-placer.

2. Approve every candidate you like at least as well as your favorite of the
   current first-placer and current second-placer.

3. Approve every candidate you prefer to a 50-50 lottery between the current
   first-placer and current second-placer.

I agree with Mike that the second one isn't too good.  I think it would be
likely to give a strong advantage to current frontrunners, just like plurality
does, but I haven't simulated that strategy yet.  The third might work.  I know
using the first will always lead to and lock on a sincere Condorcet winner when
there is one.

Let's hear some more ideas!  My ground rules:  The voter rates each of the
candidates with a real number between 0 and 100 and has a full ranking of the
candidates from the latest poll.  How should he determine his Approval vote?

--
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org
http://www.onr.com/user/honky98/rbvote/calc.html