How to vote in Approval

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 15:08:58 PST 2002

Let C1, C2, ... be the N candidates ranked in descending order of your
utility measures U1, U2, ... for their respective victories.  (These
measures presumably are reflected by your ratings.)

A rational strategy will have you voting for your first so-many favorites,
down to a cutoff utility value U0.   That is, on candidate Ci, vote YES if
Ui>U0, NO if Ui<U0, and vote to whim if Ui=U0.
The question is, how to choose U0?

Rational Strategy.  Totally rationally, one should choose U0 = expected
value UE of the Ui. (Here, for definiteness,  ‘expected’ is under the
baseline condition that you yourself don’t vote: a quibble unless the
electorate is quite small)

As to ‘expected’, Rob’s question implies that your one source of information
is the snapshot given by the poll data.   Let P1, P2, ... be the respective
probabilities - imputed by you from the poll data - of the candidate’s
victory (again, assuming you don’t vote).    Then the Pi, and your Ui,
together establish UE.  In fact, even if you do not have exact values for
the Pi, you may still be able to infer partial information sufficient for
useful conclusions about UE.

How do Rob’s three proposals stack up against the Rational Strategy?  They
may all do very poorly when the two leading candidates in fact do not have
overwhelming probability of success yet are among the worst (or maybe the
best) alternatives.

For instance, imagine a close race among three good guys - C1 (U1=100,
P1=20%, C2 (U2=95, P2=19%), C3 (U3=90, P3=18%) - and two bad guys C4 (U4=10,
P4=22%) and C5 (U5=0, P5=21%).

The leaders are C4 and C5.   Rational has you voting for just the three good
guys.  All three proposed strategies make you vote for the bad leader C4 as
well.

Now, suppose the implications of poll numbers shift slightly toward the good
guys:  C4 and C5 each lose 2% and C1 and C2 each gain 2%.  Rational still
has you voting for the three good guys.  All three proposed strategies have
you voting just for C1.

High-Utility Victory-Median Strategy.  Alternatives proposed to the Rational
Strategy have appeal mainly because in some situations you cannot readily
compute UE to good approximation.  However, compared with the three
proposals on Rob’s list, it seems that you would often do a lot better by
simply finding the victory-probability median (midpoint) of your ranking,
and taking as U0 the utility of the candidate in that position.

That is, as above, rank all candidates in descending order of preference,
and estimate (from the poll) their respective probabilities Pi of victory.
Proceding from top-rank down, find the first (i.e. highest ranked) candidate
for which the sum of probabilities, from the top down to and including the
candidate, is at least 50%.  Vote at whim for him and YES for candidates
above him.

In the above example, with both the original and the shifted poll numbers,
this strategy would have you vote YES for C1 and C2, and at whim for C3.

Kudos and apologies in case, as seems likely, someone else (Mike or ...?)
has already noted and named this high-utility victory-median strategy.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA