How to vote in Approval

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 22:47:38 PST 2002

Mike wrote:
> By the way, I've heard that Plurality DSV doesn't necessarily converge,
> when there's a cycle. Does Approval DSV converge reliably anyway?

No.  If the Approval "voters" are smart enough, a candidate that pairwise
defeats the frontrunner will overtake him eventually, only to be overtaken
himself.  So the candidates will cycle in the Smith set eventually, although
not every candidate in the Smith set will necessarily gain the lead.  For
example, if A beats B and C, B beats C and D, C beats D and D beats A, the lead
might go from A to D to C back to A, with B never in the lead, depending on the
initial votes and the strengths of each victory.

--
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org
http://www.onr.com/user/honky98/rbvote/calc.html