How to vote in Approval

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 20:38:14 PST 2002

A few more comments--

Rob LG said:

I come from a mathematical background; specifically, I'm a student of game
theory. So I tend to be pessimistic: I'd rather assume that whatever voters
could do to help themselves, they will do.

I reply:

Mathematics can of course be very useful for voting systems. But
mathematics has something in common with martial arts study and medical
study: A little can can become a cause of mistakes.

Game theory doesn't actually say that people will do anything that
could benefit them. Game theory studies the advisability of strategies
and tries to judge which combinations of strategies will be used in
the game.

What does game theory say about the strategies for wv & margins?
If we invoke game theory, let's apply it. Are there any on this
list who are conversant with that subject, and who would like to
study the strategies of wv & margins?

Rob LG continued:

When an election is definitely zero-information, finely-grained Cardinal
Ratings is undoubtedly the champ. In fact, when no strategy is possible, I'd
rather the sincere CR winner win than the Condorcet winner.

I comment:

But strategy is possible even with 0-info. CR is an excellent method, with
0-info or nonzero-info. I don't know if everyone will rate sinderely. In a
0-info public
election, the voter who wants to maximize his/her utility expectation
will give maximum points to all of the above-mean candidates, and
minimum points to the rest.

Mike Ossipoff